Greeting

For Cloth Diapering Working Moms Everywhere!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Introduction to Me

Let me give you a brief introduction to me, the author of this blog. My husband and I made the decision to switch our son (our first) to cloth diapers about two months ago, when he was 11 months old. As a working mom (I am a lawyer in a large Midwestern law firm), I knew that the decision to use cloth would mean a lot of dedication by me, not to mention more time doing laundry! Nevertheless, it is important to both me and my husband to try, as much as possible, to adopt a natural approach to child-rearing and to be environmentally and fiscally responsible. The decision to cloth diaper fit nicely into each of those lifestyle choices.

Now, over two months later, I am completely hooked. I am the first to admit that I'm a cloth diapering addict. It's been a long learning process, and there are still dozens of diapers that I haven't tried yet, but there is no way I would go back. And when our next baby is born (somewhere down the line, nothing in the works yet), I will happy cloth diaper that baby as well.

My cloth diaper stash has grown in the last two months from a measly 11 diapers that I started with after my first trip to my local cloth diaper store, to 31 diapers plus 6 extra snap-in inserts for the GroVia system. In my estimation, these are really about half a diaper, but they do allow me 37 diaper changes, if so needed!

The story of my life over the last couple of months has been time management. In addition to cloth diapering, I made all of my son's baby food and make his food now, including snacks such as graham crackers and goldfish crackers. In addition, my husband is an athlete, so I try my best to make the bars, cookies, etc. that he uses as fuel during long runs and bike rides. In the midst of all this, I cloth diaper, and do all of the associated laundry, folding, stuffing, etc.

I'm not detailing all of this to sound like Superwoman -- I'm not. Moms the world over do the same thing and struggle to fit everything into the finite hours in a day just as I do. So far I've pretty successfully managed to juggle all of these tasks along with a full-time law practice. It has been an adventure and a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment